"In an area such as the Palos Verdes Peninsula, which glories in its wide view of the
Pacific and the long view of its own future, it is inevitable that the creative arts
should flourish, and that the idea of a locally-sponsored symphony organization should
Founding Conductor Emeritus Joseph A. Valenti
- Founded in March 1967 with twelve musicians by Maestro Joseph Valenti, the Symphony grew to 50 musicians before the first concert.
- Initial venue - Rolling Hills High School Multipurpose Room
- First concert December 1, 1967
- Later venues included Palos Verdes High School, for many years Redondo Union High School, and for 25+ seasons at Rolling Hills Covenant Church.
- Summer concerts, aimed at families, are in the same location as our regular concerts, but we have also held outdoor concerts in locations such as the Rolling Hills High School, Chadwick School and Green Hills Memorial Park. These concerts have been given when funding permitted.
- Normal orchestra size has been 60 to 80 musicians depending on the music. The largest group occurred February 21, 1981 when 120 musicians performed.
- During Maestro Valenti's final season, 2007-2008, the Association bestowed upon him the title of Founding Conductor Emeritus.
- The search for a new Music Director/Conductor began during the 2006-2007.
After a year of application screening, interviews, and reference checking,
each of four finalists conducted one of the concerts during 2008-2009.
The Search Committee met after the last concert and reviewed the evaluations
provided by members of the audience and members of the orchestra. After
extended discussions, Gary Berkson was recommended to the Board of Directors.
On July 3, 2009, the Peninsula Symphony Board approved the recommendation and
named Maestro Berkson as Music Director/Conductor.
- The orchestra returns to Redondo Union High School in October 2013.
- In 2022 we concluded our second search for Music Director/Conductor when, after 2 years of effort, we hired David (da-Veed) Cubek. He has been the director of the Claremont Concert Orchestra of Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, Pitzer, and Scripps Colleges since 2010. Mr. Cubek began private piano and composition lessons at the age of 7 before entering the Simón Bolívar Conservatory. In 1999, he moved to Montreal to continue his music education, studying piano and music theory at McGill University and orchestral conducting at the Conservatory of Montreal.
Peninsula Symphony Association 916 Silver Spur Road #303 Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
For information: call 310-544-0320 Tax ID 23-7008895
Bruce Erickson Web Master